Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday Pot Rescue

I have often thought of what I could post for WFMW over at Rocks in My Dryer but until this week had no inspiration. I realize I am late to the party this week but if I wait until next week I'll forget my favorite kitchen clean-up secret. When I was in college, I burned something on the bottom of a pot when I was cooking. I can't remember what it was. My roommate's mother was visiting that week and she suggested a solution to cleaning the pot. She told me to put a little water in the pot, just enough to cover the bottom completely. Then she said put baking soda in the water and turn on the stove. When the water had all boiled away, I had a white crusty stuff that scraped easily off the bottom of the pot and took the burned on stuff with it. Then I could clean the pot as usual. I don't know how much baking soda to use, I just dump. I have used this recently to get the macaroni noodles and peas I let boil dry. Sometimes the baking soda doesn't quite get all the edges of the pot, but it loosens it enough that a little swipe with steel wool and the black crud is all gone. It works for me and saves my pots.

5 comments:

Rae said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! =)

Pam said...

Found you via Shannon. Great tip. My sweet MIL shared this one with me, and it does work like a charm! Thanks for sharing, no matter what time on Wed!

sam said...

I am trying it this morning as my youngest burnt no-bake cookies to the bottom of a pan last night.

sam said...

I had already completed the process twice when I saw your comment, and ended up doing it once more. It worked great on everything but that small three-inch circle in the middle of the pot. We are still scrubbing at that!

I will definitely use that tip again though. Thanks!

H said...

Howdy!

THIS is the post I had bookmarked. I looked it up after our conversation last night. :)