Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Miss Me?

Wow it's been a while since I posted. I keep starting posts in my head, but never finding the time to sit down and write them out then post them. I have been running for about a month. Crashing the deacon meeting was fun but it led to a lot of work. And we aren't done yet. I will post before and after pictures as soon as I take the after pictures. We are done with the two offices, and they look fabulous.

It is the beginning of wrestling season so I have returned to widowhood until March with some limited time off over the holidays. I did talk my husband into missing three practices over Thanksgiving for family time. It was a major concession for him. I even got him to take a personal day last Friday for our trip to Arkansas. Whohoo big big big big day! I was tempted to ask "who are you and what have you done with my husband?"

As I was reading Heather's blog today, two things leaped out at me. "Am I not allowed to do what I choose to do with what belongs to me?" I love her answer to this. Everything we have is God's and He allows us to use it. Our time, our talents, our resources, our churches, our homes etc. My parents really impressed this upon me growing up. They have always had a nice home, not a mansion, but comfortable and they insisted on having a spare room no matter what for overnight guests. My father's family was very poor as he was growing up and they were very impressed by the house we lived in in KC and the one here in Topeka. To me they were always just home, because that is how my folks made it. I remember my mom saying to those who commented on the home, that she and dad felt that God had blessed them with the resouces to have a such a home to be used as a ministry to others. I can't tell you how many times we hosted people for various reasons. From a meal to a month long (or more) stay. It was a great example to me of this principle. All I have is from God and I am commanded to use it for His glory.

The other thing I want to reflect on is this: "If it doesn’t line up with scripture, it honestly isn’t for me." Isn't that a fabulous summation of how we are to live our lives? She was talking about it in context of churches and that is where I would begin if looking for a church. I am blessed to be in a church that follows this. May we all be living our lives by this.

No comments: