Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Finally Declaring Success

Sometimes I have philosophical or deeply spiritual things I am working over in my mind but today I have something a little more pedestrian. My child has mastered potty training. Now I hesitate to declare the battle won but I can't help but think that we've got it figured out. She announces she when she needs to go potty. She doesn't have accidents, she even takes herself to the potty when she has to go and doesn't always involve us when we're at home with her own potty. She is dry at nap time and knows about BMs. She was holding them in for days ( I worried about that) and then when she couldn't hold it anymore she would either make it to the bathroom or poop her pants. One day it was both. (On the bathroom floor. I found it. It wasn't one of our better days). Then Friday at naptime I found her in the bathroom doing her business. I was excited because she did it herself. Then before getting up from nap she had a BM in her pullup. One step forward.... Saturday she had another BM in the potty. Sunday again. Three days in a row was progress on the digestive scale. So far this week also good progress. No accidents and no pullups at nap either. The last two nights she has even been dry overnight. This is big for me because I didn't really expect that yet. Jessa still wears a pullup at night and we have to be careful not to make that a big deal for her. She sleeps like the dead and has always done so. I had to use overnight extra absorbent diapers for her overnight but never for Josi. The neatest thing though is how supportive Jessa has been of Josi's milestones. I was telling Daddy about Josi's dry diaper and didn't know Jessa was there. Jessa went to Josi and gave her a hug and told her how great that was and what a big girl she was being. I almost cried. I don't want Jessa to be upset that she isn't dry at night, it isn't a big deal to me. I knew someone who wet the bed until middle grade school and since pullups weren't invented yet it was a huge embarrassment to her. I want Jessa to be okay with it. I tell her about that person and her cousin R who still wears pullups in 1st grade. She will figure it out eventually. She's only four. If Josi figures it out now I think its great. One less set of pullups or diapers to buy.
Next time I'll try for more thoughtful discourse but hey this is what I've learned today.

No comments: